Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Editing first draft with a poorly leg.

I have finally finished the first draft of the Iron City which is brilliant - finishing the book, that is. I am not claiming that the book is brilliant as that would be a little big headed. In its present state it is an okay book, but it needs a lot of work on it. Argh!

   Working on the first draft edits is where I act as the reader and just read it through making sure it flows and that I haven't left chunks out. Because of the way I write, this is so necessary as I jump around all the time when I'm writing (not literally, especially with a poorly leg) so I could work on an end piece then dart back to a more middling part. It all depends how excited I am at the time.

   There are also lots of questions I need to make sure I know the answers to. Here's a few examples of questions I had to research:
  • How far can a healthy person walk in one day?
  • Where would you hit someone in the face to knock them out?
  • How much weight could a typical teenager carry?
  • What's the inside of your elbow called?

See, and you thought being a writer was all about the glamorous things in life! I'll let you know when other questions pop up in further edits. :)

Here's a photo of my poorly foot until then.

 Ooops! Wrong photo.



#AmWriting, #AmEditing, #YALit, #YA

No comments: